Monday, August 1, 2016

Gold Leaf with metallic embossing powders

Last week, at SplitCoastStampers, there was a challenge to create a faux gold leaf with gold embossing powder on tin foil. I decided to try it using both gold and copper embossing powders.

(Click on photos for larger view.)

This is how you do it.

1.  Crumple up some aluminum foil lightly to get some texture and then open it back up. 
2.  Die cut the foil.
3.  Apply Versamark ink to the foil pieces and the cover in metallic embossing powder.
4. Heat to melt the powder.  Repeat process if necessary to cover die cut.

I found that you could also get the job done by just using paper or cardstock.  Can you tell which one is paper in my finished card?


I found that the paper was much less fragile and a little easier to die cut.  With the foil, in the really recessed areas, you can see the foil peeking out, and that is a nice look.  But overall, I think you get a very similar result either way.


(PS. the copper leaf is paper.)

Supplies:  Spellbinders Shapeablilities Foliage, Hero Arts Woodgrain background stamp, Gina K Birthday Blessings (Bird stamp and die), Gina K Sending Love set (flower), GKD Dark Chocolate Ink, patterned paper from my stash, Frayed Burlap distress ink, Gold and Copper Embossing powders from Recollections

I would love to participate in the following challenges:

10 comments:

Cat Craig said...

Wow, this has fabulous texture and dimension, and I have to say I love the mettalics.

Megan J said...

Hi Heidi, a gorgeous card and love the metallic embossed look, I thought the gold looked like paper so you fooled me! I wonder how this would go if you glued the foil to some cardstock first? Have a great day... Megan

Sharon Fontenot said...

The difference in texture makes this card amazing. You are so clever. I will have to try this.

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

I had guessed wrongly, I thought the gold was probably the paper! This is a fabulous idea Heidi - and one I must try myself! So artistic! Have a great day! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Great idea! I think I would try gluing the foil to copy paper and not cardstock since that would be thinner to die cut, but it would give the foil extra strength without sacrificing the metallic shine.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow that is so cool looking, you know I am going to have to try this out, I could not tell which was which, thanks for revealing :) Awesome card, I love it!

Mac Mable said...

Thanks for the tips and information. Fabulous effect without using metal...I like it, thank you x

Lin said...

The metallics really make a lovely impact! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

April said...

I love your card and the metallic leaves. Now I was thinking the gold leaves was the paper! Love how the leaves turned out!

Far North said...

Fantastic texture! Wonderful card!